Reply to Post

AyBayBalas
July 30, 2019 @ 12:03 PM

I do think it's weird that he didn't start as a junior even if he was at a Georgia powerhouse, but I don't think that's quite as big a knock on him as the whole Unije not playing on the top IMG team his senior year thing.

I think it more so has to do with QB recruiting taking place so early. Most of the top 2020 QBs have committed somewhere, and 7 of the top 10 2021 QB prospects are committed. That's crazy! These guys haven't even taken snaps as juniors and they're already committed to Washington, Oklahoma, Michigan, tOSU, ND, Texas, and Bama.

So I view it more as Bama, UGA, and tOSU offered because they really like his talent, but they have their pick of the top guys so they can afford to not wait until CJ plays as a senior. Which also might end up being a good thing for U of I. His abilities might be in that upper echelon with other 2020 recruits, but he got passed up because Bama, Georgia, and tOSU already got their QB who has similar talent that they can verify more easily.

I think the ideal scenario is that he bursts into the scene his first few games so we can immediately evaluate and feel really good about him as a prospect, and then hope he stays committed and signs in December. Although he did go to the same school as Jakai Clark, so I'm a bit worried about that.

Post Preview