Reply to Post

uofi08
August 17, 2020 @ 04:05 PM

There's just so many moving parts to this college football thing, it's really hard even grasp what my actual opinion is. So much is unknown, so much is risk, etc. I will say, my problem with the Big Ten is not that they cancelled the season. My issue is if you're going to be first to make a definitive decision, you need to provide some transparency on how and why you came to that decision. I think there's a very good chance the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 all eventually cancel their seasons too. I'd say it's more likely they play 1 or less games than 8 or more. But they are at least giving themselves a chance. See what happens after a few weeks of students on campuses. See if and how player positive tests are handled, how are the games handled, etc. There appears to be some movement on the Yale/Illinois saliva style instant tests. What if those are approved and all P5 teams have it available to them in a month? What if the myocarditis screening is found to be completely acceptable for Covid-recovered athletes? Basically, why is the Big Ten certain enough to cancel when so many other conference decision makers are open to more advancements and giving this a go? I had more issues with Kevin Warren's non-answers than with his decision.

The spring season has a ton of non-covid issues. It's going to be tied to the '21 fall season, so how are those games going to be scheduled? There's 0% chance on 2 full seasons. I think you're looking at 18-20 regular season games tops across the 2 seasons. How do you want to split that up? Based on NFL and traditional college scheduling, I think that means the '21 season stays as normally scheduled as possible. With that I mean it stays at 12, or no fewer than 10 games. The NFL is usually pretty good on scheduling. Since they've pushed the draft previously, I think they would definitely do it again, making it in mid to late May. I agree with all your weather analysis and the late February start time makes the most sense. 6-8 games starting in late February and maybe ending with some sort of title game or a B1G/PAC challenge thing. You have to go into a spring season expecting significant defections. If you're near certain of being a top 3 round pick, there's no good reason to risk your health leading up to your dream job. Those guys will most likely not play at all. Then you're going to have the guys that work their way into the draft in the first half of the season. If those guys feel they have proven enough, they smartly should sit the rest of the season. Sure some will stay but most will be encouraged to sit. The spring season is going to be weird no matter how you schedule it and the defections are going to happen regardless of how early it starts.

Overall, I don't know how feasible it is, but since the players are still practicing, I would love to see the conference say they will reevaluate a possible season in like a month. It will give the players some positive news and keep the conference somewhat on par with the other big conferences. These players would be absolutely crushed if the other conferences find a way to have a safe healthy season while the Big Ten kids are sitting at home. I guess my thoughts are around the best case spring season being 6-8 games long with a not-insignificant number of player defections. So based on that, try for as long as you can to make fall a reality.

Post Preview