Reply to Post

Efrem
April 7, 2021 @ 09:59 AM

I think we're all looking at this from the wrong perspective. It's not "why do the freshmen want to leave and why should we recruit HS players?" The question is "what can we do to create an experience for all players so they don't want to leave?"

This reminds me of the reaction of taxi companies and drivers when Uber came into big cities. Instead of making the Taxi experience better for customers they did all kinds of dumb stuff to protect their old business model. And watched customers flock to Uber and Lyft.

The NBA has made player empowerment a thing that is definitely impacting college sports too. We need to lean into this and embrace it or we'll be like the cab companies. This is an opportunity for Illinois to lead and set the example. I hope our current AD gets that and doesn't massively blow it like Gunther did during the huge expansion of college sports back in the late 90s

One other question you should have added to your list @Robert: will we be prepared when the rules changes to allow unlimited transfers with no sit out years. Because that will definitely eventually come too

Post Preview