Reply to Post

BriCrozier
September 6, 2021 @ 03:56 PM

I simply have to disagree concerning the first-down run call with 1:00 left, with Illinois not having any timeouts I thought it was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen in a two-minute drill situation. That play-call completely ruined the momentum that had been built on the two previous plays (Illinois gained 25 and 14 plays through the air on those plays, getting the ball from their own 35 to the UTSA 26) and the Illini actually lost yardage afterward thanks to being put behind the 8-ball due to the loss of time and momentum directly caused by that horrific decision. If the intent of that play call was to catch the UTSA defense off-guard, a much better play call would have been some kind of screen pass where a RB or WR could potentially get the ball in space. If they had some room in front of them, they could move up the field and gain the yardage and if they didn't then they could move toward the sideline and get out of bounds to stop the clock. In a worst-case scenario, if the play is completely covered then Sitkowski could make a "bad" pass away from everybody (And with how he had been throwing the ball, the officials would've been none the wiser) and then both the clock is stopped and the offense has a moment to catch its breath.

Post Preview