Reply to Post

thumpasaurus
September 14, 2021 @ 12:39 PM

I also do not want to re-do 2016/2017 purgatory and don’t think we should, but I’m not sure how much of that is “this situation is very different” vs how much is “I treated Lovie and beckman with kid gloves and ignored some early red flags hoping they were aberrations and I’m not going to do that to myself again,” so I’m not willing to accept these results as meaningless.

If we have good coaches and we’re building an identity, our team should be better by the end of the year than when it started. If only our schedule were friendlier to that…

Depending on how Northwestern shakes out, that could be the final exam for year 1. You beat northwestern by out-executing and making fewer mistakes.

I don’t believe we’re recruiting at a high enough level right now that we could go 1-11 or even 2-10 this year without hurting our long-term viability. Mel Tucker hit the portal hard in year 2 and I’m hoping we do the same. We hit it pretty hard this year, which gives me some hope. Tucker got himself a win that got people’s attention and moved the needle in 2020 - I’m not sure if Nebraska is that level of win for Illinois.

Bottom line: gotta win three games.

Post Preview