Reply to Post

IlliniJoe81
September 18, 2022 @ 08:34 PM

I had a realization the other week that I cared more about reading your football postgame article than I cared about actually watching the game. I think that means that I'm a Robert fan in addition to being an Illinois fan.

I live in Maryland so other than one of my brothers who also is an alumnus I basically have nobody around who cares at all about Illinois sports. I care a lot (particularly about basketball) and I need someone who understands the 24 year journey that got me to this point. That's you. You are like my Illini avatar. You are there describing this stuff through the filter of a long-time Illini fan and that is my way of processing the aftermath of these games.

I know what happened. I want to know how it made you feel.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole pressbox thing. I think you should have access and you clearly understand the rules, so I think you belong. Nobody is harmed by you being there. You've asked good questions. I loved that you tracked down BB right after he was hired. Don't just do it though because you feel like you have to do it. You should be there when you feel like you need to be there or have something to ask. Don't just do it for filler. I like that you can also be in the stands. Sometimes the better story is in the stands. Go where you feel you need to go. You have good instincts. Trust them.

Above all, thank you for doing this. Do it for you and you'll also be doing it for us. I'm just a low-tier subscriber but I try to comment because I like the idea that maybe something I add will be of value to you and also that you'll never forget that people out there care about what you do.

Post Preview