Reply to Post

uilaw71
November 21, 2022 @ 07:30 AM

Illini67 and I are from a similar vintage, and I dare say may have known one another or at least been on some of the same AA sponsored trips. But as sweet as the 63 season was football wise, we also suffered through the Slush Fund and its aftermath. To have stayed the fandom course through those years (including the Big Ten crapping on Dave Wilson) allows us to be critical. In fact, when interviewed by a Chicago TV station at LAX when awaiting the AA charter back to CMI after the ‘84 Rose Bowl debacle, I said what was in my heart and felt by the majority of our cohort - that I was disappointed in the team. That happened to be both a heartfelt and an informed reaction. I was actually present for their final practice, and observed the fire and determination that was sorely lacking on game day - in stark contrast to what we saw from the team Saturday in A2.

So from the 30,000 feet POV, Robert, what you’ve written in this post indeed represents why I will continue following you and subscribing. To the extent your thought process in creating the Slack channel was to have a safe space for like-minded folk, in my view you succeeded. My only criticism is what I posted there Saturday when you were interacting - spend game time there, not on Twitter.

And as a famous Illinois pol of yesteryear said, “I don’t care what they write about me, as long as they spell my name right.”

Post Preview