2020 IlliniBoard Football Preview

Oct 20, 2020

It is finished. It was very difficult to write this year - spring ball was canceled and fall camp was closed to the media due to Covid, so I've not seen a single thing since the Redbox Bowl besides photos of practice, but here's all my thoughts on the 2020 Illini season. Total words this year (and yes, this is 7,000 short of last year): 19,232.

Cost: $10. Cost for Orange Tier or Seventeen Club subscribers: free (well, not free - it's part of your subscription).

The link is below. If you're an Orange Tier or Seventeen Club subscriber, this link will take you directly to the download page. If you're not, it will take you to the payment page where you can click through to purchase it. Please make sure you're logged in when you do this - it recognizes your Orange or 17 subscription through your username and that's what will give you access directly to the download page. In order to make sure all of you get it, I'm also going to email the PDF to all Orange and 17 subscribers. Belt and suspenders, you know.

And as always, if something isn't working right, email me (robert@illiniboard.com). In fact, I'm gonna go answer a few emails right now. And then sleep.

Enjoy.

2020 IlliniBoard Football Preview

Comments

Candydude2 on October 20, 2020 @ 04:05 PM

Robert, Best of luck to you and your entire crew. I used to be on IlliniBoard many years ago when Bumbry ran it. I have been on Rivals for more than 20 years but am not going to renew next Feb. because the site has become a very political forum in every thread and you have the same people arguing over and over about everything. Also the site has allowed name calling amoung posters and I just got tired of seeing that every single day. I know that you have been writing Illini articles for years and you went out on your own this fall and decided to subscribe to IlliniBoard. I also am one of the few Illini fans that likes football better than basketball and have had season tickets for the last 45 years. A lot of losses but the TAILGATING has been FANTASTIC

ktal on October 20, 2020 @ 07:44 PM

Robert, question: do we have the speed and size needed to (finally) execute Lovie defense with the back seven? If so, I feel like this will be the first time we enter the season with the tools to fully execute.

I believe good process generates good results. I've been operating on the assumption that Lovie understands good football process. If that's true, and we finally have the bodies and experience to execute the schemes, I think we could win the West.

But if we do and bring everyone back, we'll still get picked 7th in the West during pre-season next year. We're Illinois in their minds.

Efremwinters84 on October 20, 2020 @ 09:19 PM

Nice job Robert! I have a sneaky suspicion I know which way you're leaning for Thursday's prognostication.

One correction: You've greatly understated how low Northwestern had sunk prior to Gary Barnett's miraculous 1995 turnaround and Rose Bowl birth. The Wildcats had 21 consecutive seasons (1974-1994) without winning more than 3 regular season games. Over that timeframe, they averaged 2 wins and 9 losses, and went winless 4 times. They were widely considered the worst D-1 program in the nation. I sat through a 0-0 tie at Memorial stadium --- in a sleet storm --- with my dad during one of those winless seasons!

WoodsyMoose on October 21, 2020 @ 01:36 AM

Great job on the preview as always...but can't throw us a record prediction??? #2020problems

JeffreyJordanTouchdownPass on October 21, 2020 @ 09:49 AM

Great work, and really enjoyable read. Looking forward to the rest of the build up to the season the rest of the week. Can't believe we're two days away from kickoff. I-L-L!

Sweetchuck13 on October 21, 2020 @ 02:42 PM

Awesome job Robert. And that last line - just perfect!