From The Stands - Minnesota 2020

Nov 8, 2020

This one is a free post. And make sure you listen long enough to get to the apology. It's about 10 minutes in, I think. I'm being serious there - I've misled you for years about "just hold out hope and there will be a payoff", and I can't help but think that my (now clearly false) hope made today a little harder for you. So I'm sorry.

And nobody say "Robert you don't need to apologize" in the comments. I know that I do, so don't let this uncomfortable moment lead you to attempt to let me off the hook. I went big picture with this whole thing, studied similar rebuids, came up with averages of how they work, and told you time and time again that a 2019 click would turn into a 2020 special team. And the 2019 click turned into... maybe one of the worst Illini teams the last 20 years?

I mean it - nobody remove the discomfort. I need to experience it. I don't want to ever mislead you like this again.

Here's From The Stands.

Comments

NC_OrangeKrush on November 7, 2020 @ 08:15 PM

There is no Illini site that carries raw Illini emotion like this site and you Robert embody our true Illini misery at this particular moment... (Less the vitriol anger of others)

Don't go changin' even when wrong for a few years..

WHWizard on November 7, 2020 @ 08:47 PM

This team is every bit as bad as the teams after the slush fund sandal. I feel like I've turned back the hands of time 50 years.

J-W on November 7, 2020 @ 09:11 PM

Much like the pollsters, you analyzed the information available. As you mentioned, it’s clicking at other programs like it should - why isn’t it here? Really enjoy your takes, even when they’re dead wrong.

Eagle on November 7, 2020 @ 09:30 PM

There is good news Robert. Now that the cat is obviously out of the bag, you can guide us along the path of the next rebuild. We do appreciate your insight.

wizardofoz on November 7, 2020 @ 09:48 PM

Robert, we followed you down the rabbit hole hole and we’ll follow you again.

Rafe.thrasher@gmail.com on November 7, 2020 @ 10:13 PM

Rafe.thrasher@gmail.com on November 7, 2020 @ 10:22 PM

You were not the only one fooled Robert. Josh Whitman, I wonder what you are thinking at this moment? I had the samehope as you. Was it solely due to you? I honestly do not think that was the case. Here is the ig picture, Apathy. My nephew who enjoys watching sports is 21 and no pomger watches Illinois football. Loren Tate in his i terview with you mentioned that word, Apathy. This may be unpopular at the moment, but I will say it to get it off my mind. The Progressive liberal leadership is largely to blame for where we are as a program. We need the return of the Chief. He was part of our culture, and they destroyed that culture. Go vote fellas! Be advocates for social changeand progress fellas! Grow up to be men fellas. Men that succeed at being emasculated week in and week out by each and every opponent. Weare a disaster and have lost a hige portion of the fanbase. Getting rid of the Chief was a great idea! What we need to do is tell the corrupt liberal leadership to ahove it where thesun don’t shine.

HailToTheOrange on November 8, 2020 @ 01:42 AM

Ummm....what?

MuckFichigan92 on November 7, 2020 @ 11:33 PM

It was a bad hire. Whitman sought the first black head coach rather than the best possible coach. 22 years out of college football? Come to Illinois. Not coaching? Come to Illinois. Lovie's teams in Chicago were known for creating turnovers, both on the field and in the offensive coordinator position, and lax discipline. Lovie comes in, wastes a B1G mint on coordinators then white-flags it in season one. His approach to install HIS guys wasted Robert's goal of the extra Spring ball given to bowl teams. How would things be if Lovie rode the seniors to a bowl, got that extra seasoning before gutting it in year 1.5? Whitman's hire have killed the program. IU is about to be ranked in the Top Ten IN FOOTBALL. NU is undefeated again. IL is a dodo. Robert correctly identified how WINNABLE the B1G West was and we could not capitalize on that. Think we have it bad, look at the programs who brought back Prodigal Sons feel (FU Harbaugh, lol). Tune out for eight years. IL could not get it done in five. Any program which can win for eight years will have established something. #FireWhitman

Mr Cool on November 8, 2020 @ 12:14 AM

Illinois should have hired PJ Fleck. It was true 4 years ago, it's true today. He had rebuilt Western Michigan quickly, and was a young energetic coach with ALOT of recruiting ties in the state of Illinois. If Illinois was only interested in being the best football program possible, Fleck was the best attainable coach available for hire at the time. However, the BOT wanted a black coach above anything else, and Josh Whitman was only hired by the BOT because Whitman already had the Lovie plan in action behind the scenes. It was a complete failure of the BOT, Whitman, and Lovie that we are now in this place. I really don't blame Lovie because he never should have been hired. Lovie's not cut out for college coaching. This is all on Whitman and the BOT. I strongly feel like Fleck would have been the Bill Self of football at Illinois. But Bill Self's only come along once in a generation, and Illinois missed its chance.

Mistake #1 was not hiring Fleck. Mistake #2 was not firing Lovie after 63-0. 3 years is plenty of time to evaluate gameday coaching, assistant coaching hires, scheme, player development, and recruiting. After year 3 Lovie was poor in all phases. Should have been given the ax then. Now, with Covid and poor funding, Illinois is basically in a death penalty situation now. No hope.

Robert I think you should change your "5 years no questions asked" policy to "3 years a summary evaluation, and yearly evaluations ongoing". A couple fluke wins last year shouldn't change your feeling of the entirety of what we've seen over Lovie's tenure. Clicks don't just happen. There's signs along the way. When you lose 63-0 in year 3, that says it was never going to work. Your instincts were correct then.

taz on November 8, 2020 @ 03:46 AM

Awesome... bring back the chief and don't hire the black guy! Great fan base we've got here.

MuckFichigan92 on November 8, 2020 @ 04:01 AM

Be without a win or the Chief as long as we’re woke. ESPN wants your hot take.

taz on November 8, 2020 @ 06:58 PM

Winning or losing has nothing to do with the chief. What a dumb discussion.

mac2212 on November 8, 2020 @ 07:31 AM

Due to the new transfer rule, how many kids are going to bail?

Rafe.thrasher@gmail.com on November 8, 2020 @ 10:04 AM

To be clear, I am not a Republican and recognize that the left / right paradigm is a trap. My only fault with my hastily put together post is using terms created that paint my character in a certain light. It traps me in that paradigm. The progressive agenda has bug money behind it. Part of the progressive role is to destroy culture and divide society. The right plays its role in that as well. It is called the Hegelian dialectic. This pandemic is planned and part of the elite’s latger plan. University of Illinois is just a microcosm of their plan in action. Getting rid of the Chief was getting rid of a sumbol my generation and past generations had gond memories of while attending football and basketball games. It brought us together. Getting rid if the Chief did the opposite and caused division. It may seem small, but it is not. Culture is created and destroyed. The soul of the Illini was removed.

MinnIllini on November 8, 2020 @ 11:19 AM

Finally I get an apology for Illinois football. Thank you! I’ve been waiting 45 years. Just kidding keep up the great coverage Robert.

Efremwinters84 on November 8, 2020 @ 01:00 PM

Well, I did indeed drink your orange kool-aid this past summer, Robert. Can't believe I predicted we'd beat Wisconsin 27-20!

While I consider myself to be a long-suffering 4-Team sports fan (Bears, Cubs, Illini Basketball and Illini Football), at least I'm not solely invested in the worst team of those four. God Bless You!

Time for a youthful, exuberant coach who is widely regarded as an excellent recruiter.

Also hoping that Illini basketball can keep me buoyed during the next 5-year re-build.