From The Stands - Iowa 2020

Dec 6, 2020

You have currently viewed 1 story this month.

IlliniBoard now offers two free stories per month, for more please subscribe.

Editor's note: I just gave up on my postgame post. Just can't find any words that say anything better than the audio linked here. So FTS might be my postgame article this week. Will try again tomorrow but I'm not sure I can write about this one. I'm depressed as hell.

This is the final "sorry for the audio quality" apology of the year. I can't leave the press box, and I can't take my mask off, so I record these mask-on in a mechanical room I found. This was the last home game, and hopefully next year I'll be able to record these from actual stands.

Writing that sentence made me realize that we went winless at home. So I just hopped over to Twitter to talk about that. Only three games, but still, our last home win was Rutgers last year. Goodness me.

Anyway, that's a side thought. Here's the main thought. I tweeted this in the third quarter:

We were only losing by 7 at that point. But we all knew where this was going. And that's just the worst feeling. You can see what's happening, you look to the coaches on your sideline and mentally scream "somebody do something!", but then the inevitable just keeps happening. Just the worst.

So that's what I talked about. From The Mechanical Room.

Comments

MuckFichigan92 on December 5, 2020 @ 09:36 PM

If Robert thinks Iowa will get to 21 points when we are at 14 points, it is time to clean house. Josh "End Racism" Whitman and Lovie have to be fired.

illinisludge on December 5, 2020 @ 09:53 PM

Good observation on “inevitability.” Once the O sputters you know danger lurks. The D will not win u a game sans turnovers

PowerGranger on December 6, 2020 @ 06:10 AM

The weakest ever “Go Illini”. Seems legit.

The Olaf Rules on December 6, 2020 @ 02:04 PM

A coaching change is inevitable. JW just needs to pull the trigger and get it over with.

GilThorpe on December 6, 2020 @ 04:54 PM

yea , agree but it can’t just be a change for change sake , it needs to be a change in the right direction

HNLINI on December 6, 2020 @ 05:53 PM

Illini up 14-0 on Iowa, first thought is "Wonder how they will lose this one."

Bears up 30-20 on Detroit, with the ball and a little over 5 minutes less, first thought is "Wonder how they will lose this one." (It's really hard to continuously snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but the Bears manage)

The loss is inevitable, but the "how" and the occasional wins at least keeps things interesting.

Funny, the last time I felt an Illini Big 10 football win was "inevitable" before the game started was when Mackovic was coaching. The last time I felt a Bears win was "inevitable" was when Ditka was coaching. Since then, its been rough sledding, but that's only 30 years or so . . .

Efremwinters84 on December 9, 2020 @ 11:29 AM

It's so darned difficult to root for the home team during times like this. I want us to ALWAYS win EVERY game ---- and yet, it's better for the overall program in the long run if we just simply lose and then Whitman does what he needs to do.