A Quick Depth Chart Update
You have currently viewed 1 story this month.
IlliniBoard now offers two free stories per month, for more please subscribe.
With the first day of full practice today (first day since bowl practices in December when they could put on pads), several roster moves were announced. And so the depth chart I published last week is already out of date. I should fix that. Maybe, like, right now.
First, the list of roster moves from the press release. Most of these were already in the updated depth chart but this is the full list of changes since the August training camp:
• WR Brian Hightower announced he received an NCAA waiver for immediate eligibility.
• OL Brevyn Jones announced he received an NCAA waiver for immediate eligibility.
• WR Khmari Thompson announced he received an NCAA waiver for immediate eligibility.
• Derrick Smith position edited from LB to DB.
• Kerby Joseph position edited from DB to WR.
• Delano Ware position edited from DB to LB.
• OL Blake Jeresaty had surgery and will miss the 2020 season.
• DB Nick Walker opted out of the 2020 season.
• WR Edwin Carter is no longer on the team.
• DL Chinedu Udeogu is no longer on the team.
• DB Jaden Jones-Watkins is a new walk-on.
There are other changes since my depth chart as well (Tony Adams moving over to safety, for example). So here's where I have the depth chart today:
QB | Peters (SR) | Williams (rs-FR) | Robinson (rs-SO)
RB | Epstein (rs-JR) | Norwood (rs-SO) | C. Brown (rs-SO)
TE1 | Ford (rs-SO) | D. Imatorbhebhe (SR) | Reiman (FR-walkon)
TE2 | Barker (JR) | Moore (rs-FR) | McEachern (JR-walkon)
LT | Lowe (SR) | B. Jones (rs-FR) | Griffin (FR)
LG | K. Green (JR) | Kirts (rs-FR) | Pihlstrom (JR-walkon)
C | Kramer (SR) | Plohr (rs-FR) | Engel (SO-walkon)
RG | Slaughter (rs-SO) ~OR~ V. Brown (rs-SO) | Tyler (FR)
RT | Palczewski (SR) | Pearl (rs-SO) | Sparks (FR)
WR1 | Navarro (JR) | Cumby (rs-FR) | Sandy (rs-SO)
WR2 | Sidney (SR) | Hightower (JR) | Dan (SR)
WR3 | J. Imatorbhebhe (SR) | Washington (SO) | Campbell (SO)
WDE | Gay (SR) | Mondesir (SR) | Coleman (rs-FR)
3DT | Woods (JR) | Pate (JR) | Okpala (rs-FR)
NT | Perry (SR) | Avery (JR) | Shipton (JR)
SDE | Carney (SR) | Randolph (rs-FR) | Riggins (FR)
WLB | Eifler (SR) | T. Barnes (SO) | Meed (rs-FR walkon)
MLB | Hansen (SR) | Cooper (rs-FR) | Coghlin (JR-walkon)
SLB | Tolson (JR) | Ware (JR) | Darkangelo (JR-walkon)
CB | Hobbs (SR) | Nicholson (FR) | Leitzsey (SR-walkon)
SS | S. Brown (JR) | Martin (JR) | Marchese (SR-walkon)
FS | Adams (SR) | D. Smith (JR) | K. Smith (SR)
CB | Witherspoon (SO) | Beason (rs-FR) | Jones-Watkins (FR-walkon)
Kicker | McCourt (SR) | Griffin (rs-SO)
Punter | Hayes (SR) | Robertson (FR)
Longsnapper | Tabel (SR) | Hall (rs-FR)
Holder | Hayes (SR)
Punt Return | Sidney (SR) | Cumby (rs-FR)
KO Return | Norwood/Love | Thompson/Sims
A few quick notes:
- Adams to safety and Nick Walker opting out of the 2020 season means there's only four scholarship corners now, I think: Hobbs, Beason, Witherspoon, and freshman Taz Nicholson (if Nicholson is actually at corner). When I put together that depth chart last week I said that Hobbs, Adams, Beason, and Witherspoon were our best 4-pack of players at one position in a long time. Apparently the coaches saw the same thing because they moved Adams to safety to get three of them on the field at the same time (and if we go nickel, all four will be on the field).
- Someone asked in the comments after another article about freshman Johnny Newton. Lovie mentioned him as a DT, so that's why I have Tre'Von Riggins as the third strongside defensive end. I would love it if Newton was a DE, but it doesn't sound like that's where he's headed. And until I see otherwise, I'm going to put second-year Moses Okpala in front of first-year Newton.
- Lovie said today that he considers Delano Ware his "fourth starter" at linebacker, pointing out that he can play both Sam and Will. So look for that to be the rotation. When either Eifler or Tolson need a breather, Ware is the guy. (And when Hansen needs a breather, I'm hoping for some Shammond Cooper).
- Yes I have Devon Witherspoon (13 games of experience) in front of Marquez Beason (sat out last year with an injury) at the cornerback spot vacated by Tony Adams' move to safety. I hope it's the greatest camp battle of all time and the coaches can't help but play both of them all the time.
- If you have nine receivers you don't know where to place, do you have one? (Actually, yes we do and his name is Bhebhe.)
- Rod Smith is on the Zoom presser tomorrow. Time to find out some names who are pushing for playing time on the offense.
I think that's it. Back to 90i posts.