Took A Nap

Oct 9, 2021

You have currently viewed 1 story this month.

IlliniBoard now offers two free stories per month, for more please subscribe.

Looking through my phone, my first text to my wife was at 3:09. It simply said "I'm exhausted".

At 3:26 I texted her "like, really exhausted".

At 4:03, "just absolutely spent. might try to find a place to take a nap?"

At 4:41, "great nap. back awake."

Not joking here. I went and found a quiet corner. Set up a chair in that corner. Used a towel that I had in my bag as a pillow. And nodded off. Missed parts (most?) of the third quarter.

Here's the deal, if you really want to know. It starts with this story that I told on The Field Pass podcast. I'll just link both tweets here:

That second tweet is the next day. Because my sleep schedule was thrown off so much, I woke up on Wednesday at 4:15 am. The timestamp on that tweet is 4:26 am.

On Thursday, I was driving to Indianapolis for Big Ten Basketball Media Days. Kevin Warren's address was scheduled for 8:00 am Indy time, so that's 7:00 Central. Needed to leave by 4:30. Set my alarm for 4:00. Woke up at 2:21. Sleep schedule was just OFF.

Started getting really tired driving back from Indy on Thursday afternoon so I stopped for a lot of caffeine. Which helped me get through the rest of the day. But didn't help me sleep well. I think you get the point now. My sleep schedule was a complete disaster this week. Last night we had friends over, I wrote the SOC late, got up early, and you can see where this is going.

Near the end of the tailgate today I sat down in a chair. Was just TIRED tired. I get to these points where my body is just "that's it - if you're not gonna do it, I'm shutting everything down". This happened after the Redbox Bowl. I went to get a drink with Craig, Carmen, and Martin in South San Francisco and I fell asleep at the table. After Christmas + birthday + bowl travel, I was just completely spent.

And that's where I found myself today. So I found a quiet spot and took a nap. If you ask me what happened during most of the third quarter, I do not know. I was asleep.

(Prepare yourself. When I hit the segue button in a bit it's going to be epic.)

When I woke up, I felt great. Seriously great. I'm still tired, but my mind is finally awake. I should have never let it get to this, but, well, I'm an idiot and I push myself too far.

I also think that maybe my mask contributes to all of this? That's the wrong way to say it. I'm probably just bitter that everyone in this stadium can sit there mask-free and I have to have a mask on the entire game. Here I am, exhausted, trying to breathe through a sweat-drenched mask and thinking "what if I'm tired simply because I haven't had enough oxygen the last half hour?". I know, I know - masks allow oxygen and blah blah blah. I'm just bitter about being vaxxed since February and still having to wear a mask while watching a football game in October.

Anyway, it was night-and-day when I took that nap. I don't even need to sleep for long. I just need to nod off. If I can reach that nod-off point then I can rally. And I rallied. Went and got something to eat at the pressbox buffet. Drank some water. Then put some caffeine in my body. And now I feel back to normal. A good nap can be just what the doctor ordered sometimes.

WHICH MEANS WE'D BETTER COME OUT ON FIRE AT PENN STATE IN TWO WEEKS BECAUSE THIS GAME WAS OUR ENTIRE TEAM TAKING A NAP.

I don't think that one got there. Let me try again.

SPEAKING OF NAPS, MAY I PRESENT TO YOU WISCONSIN 491 YARDS, ILLINOIS 93 YARDS.

I don't think the 24-0 score really reflects the game we saw today. I had my prediction at Wisconsin 40, Illinois 14 (14?) and really, this game should have been 38-0. Wisconsin threw an interception at the Illinois 3 and they fumbled at the Illinois 27. If they punch in both of those drives, or if they continue the drive where they kneeled it out at the end, then the score would have been 38-0 or 45-0 and would have reflected the kind of game we just saw. This was a high school game where one team has been to the playoffs 11 years in a row and the other team only had 37 guys go out for varsity.

My reasoning last night for predicting a 26-point loss was that this was Wisconsin playing from the red tees. After playing Penn State, Notre Dame, and Michigan, playing Illinois would feel like moving up to the front tees. Suddenly it's a wedge into the green instead of 3-wood and the game feels 10 times easier. I do think that's what we saw.

But I didn't expect us to hit 1 of 14 fairways and zero greens in regulation. We couldn't even make clean contact. We had nine total first downs in this game, and honestly, without looking it up, I think five of the nine first downs came via penalty?

What is there to even evaluate in this game? We were completely outmatched in every phase of the game. Wisconsin couldn't throw the ball (10-19 for 100 yards and 1 interception) and it didn't even matter. Three hundred and ninety-one rushing yards later, we ran off the field with our tail between our legs.

Wait, I have another one.

THE ILLINI MUST HAVE NEEDED A NAP BECAUSE THEY WERE SLEEPWALKING OUT THERE.

Nah, that one is trash.

I really don't know what to say about all of this. I read this article earlier this week where PFF put all college quarterback rooms into six tiers. Illinois was in Tier Six. And that was confirmed by everything we saw today. Peters 3-7 for 12 yards. Sitkowski 8-27 for 55 yards. A combined completion percentage of 32% will lose... 95% of all college football games? The offense just isn't anywhere close to where it needs to be. And the defense was bowled over.

So I guess I don't have much more to say. We have a long, long way to go. The opening schedule, with Nebraska, Maryland, and Purdue as our Big Ten games, really didn't show the deficit. This game did.

Now? The Penn State and Iowa games are already over. Which means we have three games - Rutgers, Minnesota, and Northwestern - to show some life. Life is needed.

AS IS A NAP SINCE THE ILLINI'S SLEEP SCHEDULE IS OFF BY A MILE RIGHT NOW

Yeah, no.

Comments

ATOillini on October 9, 2021 @ 07:24 PM

Unfortunately there’s what I think is an obvious question here….When, if ever, have we had less than 100 yards in offense? Actually there might be a second question….Last time any FBS program was sub-100? Possibly more common than I might think (I hope).

Altenberger with cheese on October 10, 2021 @ 12:37 PM

Well, in the terrific 1994 “one first down” beat down of Miznoz, we held them to a total of 46 yards.

illinikeith98 on October 9, 2021 @ 07:49 PM

1977

ATOillini on October 9, 2021 @ 08:54 PM

My first question or my second question?

Joe Edge on October 9, 2021 @ 07:50 PM

LOL... Napping is a good thing. I've been around this world about 6 times, and the USA is the only country on the planet (that I know of) that doesn't break for a nap after lunch... The only one.

You need to get your rest. It's going to be a long and tough buildout... We just aren't very big, or very strong, or very talented, and getting those players who do have talent, strength and girth will take time and patience, patience and time...

Do we have the patience to give coach BB the time necessary ? He's the 15th head coach since 1959... I certainly hope we do...

illinikeith98 on October 9, 2021 @ 08:45 PM

I think u should make a new t-shirt every year for your website. Next year make it one of the sixteen. And in 2038 stop selling t-shirts altogether.

IlliniJoe81 on October 9, 2021 @ 10:02 PM

Take care of yourself. Sometimes I think about what this football season is doing to your health and I worry.

Robert on October 10, 2021 @ 08:14 AM

For what it’s worth… 8.75 solid hours of sleep with no interruption last night. I feel like a new man.

ohioillini77 on October 9, 2021 @ 10:21 PM

Most pathetic excuse for a football game I have ever seen. Grange Grove tent was fun, but no energy at the game.

Bear8287 on October 10, 2021 @ 02:08 AM

So, I guess you were already off campus for the 1978 Illini vs Northwestern game?

Actually, there’s a lot about this current team that reminds me of the Moeller years… and that’s not good.

Boneyard Surfer on October 10, 2021 @ 06:25 AM

My first game as a student. West Block I.

cagould22 on October 9, 2021 @ 11:08 PM

Hey, you sass that hoopy Robert Rosenthal? There’s a frood who really knows where his towel is!

Robert on October 10, 2021 @ 08:14 AM

You make ONE reference to 42 ONE TIME… :)

orangeandblue on October 10, 2021 @ 10:07 AM

The basketball practice was great! The weather and tailgating was just about as good as it gets. And then the football was well there’s not really a nice way to put it. It was terrible, not the normal terrible either. It’s just who we are right now. I can either choose to enjoy the weather and hanging out with friends and family or I can choose to gripe and complain about the football. I’m not really a big complainer so I’ll hope we can get better in the future and for the present I’ll enjoy Marching Illini, the great weather, hanging with friends, etc. That’s how I’m dealing with it at least.

thumpasaurus on October 10, 2021 @ 07:33 PM

It’s so frustrating having everything in place for Gameday to be truly transcendent…except for the football team, which we’ve been waiting on for over a decade.

AGig21 on October 10, 2021 @ 10:27 AM

game ball goes to our "penalties team". Talk about records: Accepting 101 yards in penalties while giving up zero.

Bear8287 on October 10, 2021 @ 05:15 PM

Yes. On the items to note list:

• No penalties
  • No turnovers

- Only 47 plays on offense (nearly half, 23, were incomplete passes)
- Only a net of 26 yards rushing
- Only 67 yards passing

I had mentioned earlier this season that the Illini had 300 total punt yards in a game. This game was 326 yards. (Anyone know the single game and season Illini records for total punt yards?)

Illini have 1,775 total punt yards so far this season which works out to almost 254 yards/game. At that pace the Illini would finish with over 3,000 total punt yards.

ChampaignSipper on October 10, 2021 @ 11:25 AM

New t-shirt idea for the Seventeen Club:

A Picture of Memorial Stadium with the caption:

@Alioneye slept here

The Olaf Rules on October 10, 2021 @ 03:38 PM

First regular season basketball game is one month from today! ??

thumpasaurus on October 10, 2021 @ 07:29 PM

Even by the standards of illini football offense, this was hard to watch. Nothing could have won this game, but it would have been cool for us to actually try to run the ball before the game got out of hand, if for no other reason to give our defense more opportunity to rest.

When we came out in the shotgun from our own 3, I wanted to throw up

Lou-a-villini on October 10, 2021 @ 08:39 PM

One of the Zzzzzzzeventeen!