From The Stands - Purdue 2021

Sep 26, 2021

When "no cheering in the pressbox" goes wrong.

There aren't fans in the pressbox. The pressbox is for the media. Fans sometimes find their way into the pressbox (hey, that's me), and because of that, they do announcements in the pressbox saying "if you cheer, you'll be kicked out". I've been pressboxing it since 2013 and have never once broken the rule.

I've come to very much enjoy watching a game from the pressbox. The main reason? I'm insulated from opposing fans cheering. I'm the guy who can barely stand it when four Michigan State fans have tickets behind me in the stands, so being in the pressbox affords me the ability to watch a game MSU-fans-behind-me free.

However, as more fans have been credentialed - perhaps the best way to say that is "as more media have learned that reporting on the game as a fan will make them more money so they become quasi-fans" - there's more noise in the pressbox than ever before.

So for the last six minutes of this game, I had a Purdue fan to my right. Watching the last six minutes of THIS GAME with a Purdue fan to my right was excruciating. Much of the Illinois media headed down to the locker room, so this guy made his way down to the front row. He wasn't really cheering, just "dammit" when Illinois would pick up a first down and "yes!" with a clap when Purdue would make a play. (I'm doing the same thing, only internally.)

When Purdue made the stop on fourth down to end the game, I was internally crushed. He was externally happy. No cheering in the pressbox is dead, and I'm the one the most angry about it.

All of that to say... I'm bitter in this FTS. Why does it have to be this hard?

I hate everything.

Comments

HNLINI on September 25, 2021 @ 07:20 PM

He not only made the mistake, he is apparently so committed to the mistake (and not admitting he was wrong) that he said he would make the same decision again.

How can anyone want to play for a coach who doesn't play to win?

ktcesw on September 25, 2021 @ 07:35 PM

Robert, great points! I also agree with the previous comment. BB is showing more of a desire not to lose than a will to win!

illinizeeman on September 25, 2021 @ 07:35 PM

The analytics say go for it. It was inside the 40. He needs to change. Missing a 3rd and 4 does not set a precedence.

IBFan on September 25, 2021 @ 08:39 PM

Some of these coaching decisions are so undeniably wrong.

HNLINI on September 25, 2021 @ 10:14 PM

How can anyone want to play for a coach who doesn't play to win?

thumpasaurus on September 26, 2021 @ 12:19 AM

I can’t imagine anything I would want to see less in that situation than Pete

PowerGranger on September 26, 2021 @ 06:00 PM

P. J. Fleck?

Boneyard Surfer on September 26, 2021 @ 08:54 PM

This metaphor is exactly on point. If you are drawing from your own past, it appears that you ended with your perfect match.

I agree with other tweeters that not only did BB make the wrong decision, he selected the worst of three options.

I would rather watch Illinois lose due to playing aggressively than to lose playing like wimps.