From The Stands - UTSA

Sep 5, 2021

Quick note: Got home at 11:45, tried to start writing about the game, and I just don't have any words. So From The Stands is all you'll get tonight, unfortunately. Tomorrow morning I'll try to put it all into words. For now, I'm exhausted and headed to bed.

This isn't really From The Stands. I didn't go down to the stands to record. I went to my secret spot from last year (during Covid when the stadium was empty and we couldn't leave the pressbox). Just felt right to go back there and feel those feelings again.

Listening time: 13 minutes. All of them depressing.

Comments

IlliniHimey on September 4, 2021 @ 11:38 PM

The true enjoyment I get in defeat- you thinking this will ever change

illinizeeman on September 5, 2021 @ 12:32 AM

Seventh guy if you include Tepper and Cubit.

Taft92 on September 5, 2021 @ 06:34 AM

How long to sing this song? As long as it takes.

Robert on September 5, 2021 @ 11:43 AM

Oh man that's perfect, Taft92. I'm scrapping everything I was writing and going in this direction. Thanks for responding with this.

Refugee from Illinois on September 5, 2021 @ 07:55 AM

I listened to this entire thing with the mental picture of Charlie Brown speaking, while lying on his back after Lucy again pulls the football.

Altenberger with cheese on September 5, 2021 @ 10:02 AM

Robert, you ask why we come — it’s the same reason you care and come, too. It’s in our blood. Maybe it’s blood poisoning, but it’s in our blood. And remember, at least once in those 26 years the taillights were leaving and we were honking: Penn St 2001.

orangeandblue on September 5, 2021 @ 10:51 AM

My grandmother was a lifelong Cubs fan. I remember in 2016, she was stressed watching the games. I asked her about it and she said, I liked it better when I knew we were going to lose. I was like what?! And she said, I don’t watch because I think they are going to win. I watch because they are my team. Sure I’d like them to win but my love for the team isn’t about whether or not they win. I just like watching them. It was such a special moment when they finally did win. She lived 86 years and saw them win once. I think that sums up my Illini fandom. I went to the game yesterday not because I thought we were going to win. I went just to be there and watch my team and see the orange and blue. That’s enough for me. When we do win, I celebrate but I don’t need them to win to be a fan. We lost but I spent the evening with my family and the Illini. It was great and I’ll keep doing it win or lose.

The Olaf Rules on September 5, 2021 @ 12:37 PM

At what point does one conclude that these Super Seniors just don’t have “it”?

GilThorpe on September 5, 2021 @ 03:00 PM

the lack of really just above average play from our very experienced Oline was a big disappointment .

Nabor568 on September 5, 2021 @ 01:01 PM

A couple of comments have already touched on this so if you’ll allow my variation on the theme….I went last Sat. and admittedly got a little teary-eyed before kick-off (it also ended up being the last game my grandfather watched before passing, so that was part of it). But, the full-ish stands, the band, the orange, taking two of my three kids, thinking about grandpa and all of those same experiences, chatting with folks waiting through security….that’s why I go…everything around the foosball….